Skip to main content

Background Image for Header:

Housing & Residence Life FAQs

When should I turn in a Housing Application?

New Students

Once you have been accepted to WVU Potomac State College, you should submit a housing application and pay the $225 room reservation fee as soon as possible. For instructions on how to apply for housing at WVU Potomac State College, please see the answer to the following question.

Returning Students

The Office of Housing and Residence Life will begin accepting housing applications for the following academic year in early October. To receive priority access in the room selection process, the application should be submitted as early as possible.

How can I apply for housing?

Apply for housing.

Can I commit to a housing contract for one semester?

No, unless you are beginning in the Spring Term. Otherwise, the housing contract is binding for the entire Academic Year. 

Can my room deposit be refunded?

The last day to receive a refund of your housing deposit is June 1 for the Fall semester and December 1 for the Spring semester. A written request must be made to cancel your deposit and sent to the Housing Coordinator at or by mail at 101 Fort Avenue, Keyser, WV 26726. $125 of the $225 deposit is refundable. If the applicant does become a PSC student the entire $225 deposit is put toward the students account toward payment of the housing fees.

Do I have to live on-campus?

Students that are single and enrolled in classes full-time are required to live on campus. A few exceptions exist:

1) Students who are 21 years of age or older by the first day of classes of the applicable term

2) Students who are married 

3) Students with children (custodial parent)

4) Student will be residing with custodial parent(s)/guardians in Mineral County or one of its                  contiguous counties: Hardy, Grant, Hampshire in WV; Allegany and Garrett in MD.

How much does it cost to live on-campus?

List of room and board fees.

Are meal plans required for all on-campus residents?

Yes; all students residing in residence halls must purchase a campus meal plan.

View Meal Plan Expenses per semester.

How can I change rooms or meal plans prior to arriving on campus?

You can change your room assignment and meal plans prior to the end of June. You would re-enter MyHousing and select a different room using the Room Swap option on the Room and Meal Plan Selection page. This provides an instant process of changing rooms. After the self-selection has ended, you must contact our housing coordinator, Marie Post at To change a meal plan you should log into My Mountaineer Card. There will be a “Change Meal Plan” link. Click on the link and follow the instructions.

Can I choose my own roommate?

Yes; you may choose your own roommate. After WVU  Potomac State College has received your housing application and the $225 room reservation fee has been paid, you will receive an email from West Virginia University in your WVU Portal account. There you will receive a link to MyHousing. Clink on the link and there you will be granted access to select a room at WVU  Potomac State College. If would like to find a roommate with similar preferences there is an opportunity to fill out a roommate matching questionnaire that will attempt to provide options of similar roommates.   You also have the option to send a roommate request to another student via email.

Note: Students will not have access to this system after mid to late June. 

Are single rooms available?

Single rooms are an option at WVU Potomac State College. Please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life to learn about our single room offerings.

How do I find out where I am being placed?

Self-selection of room through My Housing is available until mid to late June. After that time period, the Housing Staff will place unassigned students based on room availability. You will be notified of your placement through your WVU Portal email account. You can also check your housing assignment any time, through My Housing. The Application Status page in your Residence Hall Housing Application will indicate your assignment and your roommate information. 

What does WVU Potomac State College provide in each room?

Each resident is provided the following items/amenities: bed, dresser, desk, closet space, air conditioning/heat, and wireless internet access.

What size are the beds on campus? 
Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long twin (36"x 80"). We have partnered with Our Campus Marketing to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long sheets and bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities. Proceeds from this program are used for programming in the residence halls. 

How safe is WVU Potomac State College?

We have a University Police Department located on campus that actively participates in policing the campus community. In addition to University Police, the Office of Housing and Residence Life provides around the clock staffing through the semester. Students may seek assistance from their Resident Assistant or Residence Hall Coordinator at any time, day or night. Residents can also seek assistance from the staff in the Office of Housing and Residence Life during business hours from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday. There is a main desk for all of the residence halls staffed by Resident Assistants in University Place between the hours of 4:00 pm and 11:00 pm nightly. We also have trained staff that patrol the halls overnight. 

Does the housekeeping staff clean my room?

The housekeeping staff will not clean your residence hall room. It is expected, based on the health and safety residence hall policy, that each resident keep his or her room in a healthy and safe state. The housekeepers will clean the bathroom areas of University Place Residence Hall rooms once per month as a touch up and to inspect for damages. The housekeeping staff will clean the community rest rooms as well as the common areas in all the other residence halls on a daily basis.

Can I bring my car to campus?

All students are welcome to bring a vehicle to campus. Parking permits can be purchased online at prior to the beginning of each semester or at the University Police Office during the year. Parking permits cost $100 for the entire academic year. All members of the campus community who plan to park a vehicle on campus must display a valid PSC parking permit.

How do I obtain a guest parking permit when friends or family come to visit?

Guest parking permits can be obtained from the Service Office (located in the Administration Building), the University Police Office, or the Library.

Can I change rooms?

Yes; you can place a request for a room change. Talk about possible solutions and allow some time to work through specific issues. If you followed these steps and you still want to move, contact your RHC, who can initiate the room change process. Due to the need for the Assignments Office to check room occupancy at the beginning and end of each semester, room change requests are generally not approved during the first and last couple of weeks of each semester.

If you wish to change your room, contact your Residence Hall Coordinator (RHC), who will assist you with the proper procedures. Please note that room changes are not made on the basis of race, age, disability, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, color, or national origin. If you are having difficulties with your roommate that cannot be resolved, it is important that you speak with a Housing & Residence Life staff member for assistance. All room changes must be approved by your RHC. “Swapping” or “switching rooms” without approval is prohibited.

Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to initiate administrative moves made in the best interest of the student and building operations. Roommates who cannot resolve issues or come to a mutual understanding may be administratively moved to different rooms, floors, or halls.

What if I leave items in my room after I've moved out?

Residents are required to remove their belongings when they switch or check-out of their rooms. Any items left in resident rooms after the student leaves university housing will be gathered by college staff and either discarded or donated to a charitable organization. There is no storage available on campus and even if a resident is returning to the same room the following semester, each room must be completely vacated at the close of the school year.

Where do I get my mail?

The mailboxes for all on-campus residents are located on the top floor of the Student Union. During the move-in process, each resident will be assigned an individual mailbox. Below is the mailing address for students:

NameMailbox #105 Fort Avenue Keyser, WV 26726  

When can I pick up my mail?

Mail will be placed in student mailboxes Monday through Friday. If you receive a package that is too large to fit in your mailbox, you will need to pick up the package during the posted times in the Student Union. An e-mail notification will be sent to your Mix e-mail address when you have received a package. 

Housing and Residence Life 

Where is the office located?

The office is located on the main floor of University Place across from the Commons dining facility.  

What is a Residence Hall Coordinator?

The Residence Hall Coordinator (RHC) is a full-time, professional Residence Life staff member who oversees the daily operations of the residence hall. They also supervise the Resident Assistants and housekeeping staff for each building. They assume responsibility for making sure residential needs, in terms of quality of life in the hall, are met. They make sure that your residence hall maintains a healthy community by enforcing residence hall policies and procedures. In addition to handling daily operations, RHCs are trained in safety and security, student development, student conduct, and emergency procedures. The RHC is here to help ensure that your residence hall experience is positive and enriching.

The Residence Hall Coordinators for each hall have an office located in the building and should be able to assist you at any time if you contact them. If you need to call your RHC, call 304-788-7410.

What is a Resident Assistant?

Your Resident Assistants (RAs) will most likely be one of the first people you will meet in your new home. RAs are student staff members who have been carefully selected and specially trained to help you and your floor-mates learn more about the College and how to adjust during your first year. RAs are not police officers or parents. They serve as valuable resources. They are part of a staff that is well informed about the College and cares about you! If you have questions or concerns about your residence hall or if you just want to talk, try speaking with your RA first. Since your RA is a full-time student, you may occasionally find that she/he is difficult to reach during the daytime hours. Should you need assistance and your RA is available, contact your RHC or stop by the Office of Housing & Residence Life in University Place. Someone is always available to assist you, no matter the hour.

How do I become a Resident Assistant?

Resident Assistants are hired for the academic year but are occasionally hired throughout the year to fill vacancies. Applications typically become available around Thanksgiving Break and are due by early February. Interviews and the selection process occur towards the end of February each year.

More information on applying for a Resident Assistant position can be found here. 

How do I get something fixed in my room?

If you notice damage in your room we want to fix this issue as quickly as possible. Please note the following contact points based on the time that you notice the issue:


8:30 am – 4:30 p.m. - Please come to the Office of Housing and Residence Life

 After 4:30 p.m.  -  Please contact a Resident Assistant in your building or go to the RA desk in University Place.


Anytime  - Please contact a Resident Assistant in your building or go to the RA desk in University Place.

Please note - some issues may require assistance from the facilities department and will be addressed as quickly as possible. 

What happens if I lose my key?

Traditional Halls (Memorial Hall, Friend Hall)

  • Please come to the Office of Housing and Residence Life promptly. You will be issued a temporary key to your room. If the original key is not found after 72 hours, a lock change will occur. You are then assessed a $50 lock change fee.

University Place 

  • Since your student identification card is your room key, the process is slightly different. Please go to the Student Life Office and get a new student identification card. Then please come to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. There we will activate your new student identification card to open the lock of your room. 

What is the campus visitation policy?

In order to provide safe and secure residence halls, visitors are required to register their visit and present photo ID upon request. Visitation is a privilege, not a right. Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to refuse, restrict, and/or revoke visitation privileges. Failure to register a guest or be registered as a guest, attempting to give access to a person not properly registered, or failure to be with an assigned host is prohibited regardless of the date or time the violation occurs (i.e., regardless of whether the alleged violation occurs before or after formal guest registration begins).

When a resident (host) registers a visitor, he or she assumes  full responsibility for the visitor’s behavior and well-being and  must accompany the guest at all times. Therefore any violation committed by a guest will be the responsibility of the host. Each resident is only permitted to register two guests per visitation period. You should consult with your roommate concerning any possible objections. Please keep in mind that we want to make our halls as secure as possible 24 hours a day. The policy exists for the safety of you and your fellow residents.

Visitors will not be permitted to register or enter a residence hall if one or more of the following conditions apply:

  • The visitor does not have a photo ID;
  • The visitor is a minor (under 18 years of age) and the host has not received the approval of the Residence Hall Coordinator at least 48 hours in advance. Visitors under the age of 17 will not be permitted to be registered as an overnight visitors;
  • The visitor is suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or other drugs or the visitor was involved in a violation of other residence hall policy;
  • The visitor attempted previously to enter the residence hall without authorization;
  • The roommate of the host or hostess is opposed to having the visitor in his/her room; and
  • The guest has already stayed overnight two consecutive nights in the residence hall or complex.

This list is not all-inclusive. Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to deny visitation privileges if it believes such action is in the best interest of the residential community.

Temporary & Overnight Visitation

There are two types of visitation at PSC: temporary and overnight. Temporary visitors are those planning on leaving the hall before midnight. Overnight visitors are guests that plan on spending the entire night and are permitted to remain in a hall with their host after midnight. Regardless of which type of visitor a resident intends to have, all guests must be registered with Housing & Residence Life staff if they will be in a building after 9:00 p.m. To register a guest, the host and guest must stop by the main desk at University Place to fill out a guest pass, or have one filled out by their Residence Hall Coordinator. Both host and guest must show a valid photo ID. All guests must be registered after 9:00 p.m. if they are not residents of the hall they are visiting.

Visitation by PSC residence hall students from within a hall is permitted 24 hours a day with consent of roommate(s). Should a resident intend to stay in another resident’s room overnight, the overnight procedures outlined below should be followed to register that guest as an overnight visitor.

Overnight visitors must follow the same procedure as outlined about for signing in as a guest. Guests staying in a hall after midnight must be signed in as an overnight visitor. In the traditional halls (Memorial, Friend), overnight guests are restricted to those of the same sex. This is due to the community bathroom layout of those halls. Opposite sex overnight guests are permitted in University Place.

Visitor Check List:

Have you checked with your roommate to make sure they are okay with you having a guest?

Is the guest over 18 years of age? If not, they will not be permitted to sign in without permission of the Residence Hall Coordinator.

Is the guest spending the night or are they a temporary guest who will leave before midnight?

If it is after 9:00pm, all guests must be registered with the front desk at University Place, even if their visit started prior to that time.

If the guest is staying overnight, they must be signed in by midnight on the night of their stay.

Guests may stay for two night maximum.

What should I do if I am struggling academically?

We highly recommend that you stop by the Office of Housing and Residence Life to allow us to assist you. Your Residence Hall Coordinator will discuss your academic progress and connect you to our many academic resources provided at WVU  Potomac State College.

Property Insurance – Loss or Damage to Personal Belongings 

PSC does not provide property insurance coverage for your personal belongings that are contained within a dormitory room or anywhere else on campus. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain insurance coverage on personal belongings that are lost, stolen, or damaged, regardless of the cause. Insurance policies designed to provide student protection for these types of losses are available from a number of sources. Students might also wish to check with their parents to determine if they might have coverage under an existing homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy maintained by their parents.