Background Image for Header:
Leaving Campus for Winter Break
Here's a quick overview of what you need to do when you depart campus for Fall/Winter Break.
When should I plan to leave for fall/winter break?
- You should plan to depart no later than noon on Wednesday, November 25. Students will no longer have access to residence halls until the spring semester.
What should I take with me when I leave my residence hall room?
- Take only what you need to complete coursework and any personal items for fall/winter break. You do NOT need to remove all your belongings from your room. Be sure to take items such as:
- Textbooks, notebooks and any materials you need to participate in class and complete assignments
- Laptop/computer, charging cables, etc.
- Medication, personal care items, etc.
- Clothing (please consider the weather where you will be staying)
- WVU Mountaineer ID
- Debit/credit cards
- Please plan carefully as you will not be able to return to your residence hall room to retrieve items that you may have forgotten. The residence halls will be closed until students return to campus for the Spring semester.
What should I do before I leave for break? The Residence Life Staff will check each room for safety and security. However, please help them by completing the following tasks:
- Close and lock your windows.
- Pick up your trash. Remove trash from your room before you leave and put it in the designated areas for your hall. Help out the planet and recycle what you can.
- Unplug coffee makers, curling irons, etc.
- Do not unplug/turn off your refrigerator. Remove items that might spoil over the break.
- Be sure nothing is sitting on or touching radiators/heating units.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock your door.
What should I do if I am not returning to WVU for the spring semester?
- There is important information you should know before making your decision. The Office of Enrollment Services will be able to provide you with information on withdrawing from the University. You will also need to contact the Housing and Residence Life office for information on checking out of housing.